Regarding final disposal of long-lived radioactive waste, international experts have reached a consensus that "geological disposal" is the most practical from the viewpoint of protecting humans and the environment, and not transferring management burden to future generations.
This is based on a judgment that geological disposal has "passive safety" which makes it possible to maintain the safety of humans and the environment without human management over a long time period.
The Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO) is the sole organization to implement geological disposal of high-level radioactive waste generated as a result of nuclear power generation in Japan.
We established this mission statement as a fundamental concept to attain this task through discussion among entire staff.
Our Mission is the Realization of Safe Geological Disposal of Radioactive Waste in Collaboration with the Local Community.
In carrying out this mission, we give top priority to safety above all. It is indispensable for us to act carefully at every measure following the principles for assuring safety.
Because we will use a large area to construct the facility, it is important that NUMO lives around the area as a member of the local community and contributes to its sustainable development.
To gain public acceptance of the project, we need to be regarded as a socially trustworthy organization through our technological capabilities and fair and sincere efforts.
Based on the above recognized points, we set the following basic policies.
We give the highest priority to safety during all activities.
We value collaborative relationships with the local community.
We aim to become the socially trustworthy organization.
Based on the above basic policies, we will strive to achieve our mission through the following six action guidelines.
- Hone the technological capabilities that play key roles in assuring safety and make efforts to continuously improve the quality of corporate activities
- Actively participate in domestic and international research and development activities to attain the highest level of knowledge and foster advanced thought so as to improve our technology for geological disposal
- Proactively disseminate and clearly explain information of the project, and sincerely listen to public opinions through continuing dialogue throughout NUMO's activities
- Work together with the local residents and contribute to creating a desirable community for sustainable development
- Adhere to legal and ethical standards, and act fairly and honestly
- Ensure thorough risk management, and effective and efficient management of corporate activities