International seminar on the radioactive waste management in Belgium was held
On November 14, 2017, NUMO held an international seminar on the radioactive waste management in Belgium, with about 80 people. Mr. Jean-Paul Minon, former Director General of ONDRAF/NIRAS, gave a presentation mainly about the Belgian siting process for low- and medium-level short-lived waste disposal and public participation in the process. He shared the lessons learned about the siting process. The technical approach which defends sites decided based on technical aspects was not accepted by the public in 1994. Therefore, they developed a local partnership approach which ensures involvement of local communities in decision-making on a voluntary basis in 1998. As the result, the government decided a site of surface disposal in Dessel in 2006. Another lesson learned was the importance of communication with the safety authority from an early stage before licensing in order to facilitate explanation smoothly at the licensing process. In the round-table discussion, it was shared that it is important to maintain open dialogue with local people to build a good relationship for the same goal, developing a safe disposal facility. The seminar program is as follows:
|Date:||November 14, Tuesday, 2017|
|Time:||1:30 p.m. through 4:00 p.m.|
|Venue:||Mita NN Hall and Space (Mita NN Building), Tokyo|
Dr. Kondo Shunsuke, President, NUMO
"Communication and Public Participation"
Mr. Jean-Paul Minon
***Please see the FAQ for answers to our most frequently asked questions.
Handling of Personal Information
The Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO) (hereafter “NUMO”) recognizes the importance of protecting personal information, has established a policy on the protection of personal information, and endeavors to appropriately protect personal information.
- 1 Collection of personal information
- The personal information you provide is used to respond to your inquiries and provide you with relevant information such as public meetings. It is not used for any other purpose.
- 2 Management of Personal Information
- The personal information you provide is handled appropriately by SPIRAL®, a Cloud Solutions service of Piped Bits Co., Ltd. For further information about information SPIRAL® asset management, visit its website
(https://www.pi-pe.co.jp/security/customer_ap.html) (Japanese only).
In addition, in the case of transferring the personal data of residents of the EEA (European Economic Area) from the EEA to another region including Japan, NUMO properly protects the collected information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (hereafter “GDPR”).
- 3 Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
- NUMO does not disclose or provide your personal information to third parties without your consent. However, personal information may be provided in the case of the need to protect human life, body, or individual property and obtaining your consent is not feasible.
- 4 Outsourcing of Personal Information Handling
- In the event of outsourcing some or all of the provided personal information to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use, we select contractors that sufficiently fulfill the required level of personal information protection and supervise and manage the contractors.
- 5 Retention Period of Personal Information
- We retain personal information during the period necessary for the purpose of use.
- 6 Disclosure of Personal Information
- Regarding your personal information, you may request to be notified of the purpose of use, the disclosure, correction, additional and deletion of your personal information, and the suspension of its use or provision to third parties (hereafter collectively referred to as "disclosure"). Please contact us through our contact form if you wish to request disclosure of your personal information. We may confirm your identity before such disclosure.
- 7 Rights Related to Personal Information Handling
- Regarding the personal information you provide, you have the following rights in addition to the right of disclosure.
- (a) Right to request restrictions on the use of your data
- (b) Right to data portability
- (c) Right to raise an objection
- (d) Right to withdraw your agreement
- (e) Right to raise an objection statement to the GDPR authority
- 8 Arbitrary Nature of Personal Information Provision and Case of Not Providing Personal Information
- We collect your personal information to respond to your inquiries only after obtaining your consent. Please note that if your consent is not obtained, we will not be able to respond to your inquiries.
- 9 Automated Individual Decision-making about Personal Information
- We do not make any automated individual decisions that could significantly affect you, including profiling, regarding the personal information you submit.
- 10 Cookies Policy of NUMO’s Website
Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO)
◆Further information and contact details
- ・NUMO website
- ・Contact us by phone or letter at the following if you do not have email.
Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO)
Public Relations Department
Mita NN Bldg. 2F, 4-1-23 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-0014 Japan
+81-3-6371-4003 (10 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday)
I accept the Handling of Personal Information.